Selling a Business
Selling a business requires time, planning and execution. The earlier you get an experienced Intermediary involved, the better your outcome will be. Choosing a great business broker at the beginning of the process is critical! As with any other profession, the range of skills and knowledge among business brokers varies widely. Make sure you are selecting a seasoned professional to help you sell your business. Learn more.
Ultimately, you want a successful sale, one that is supported by sound judgment in business valuation, strong marketing insights, the creativity to put difficult deals together, and the knowledge to keep those deals together. Problems sometime arise during the due diligence phase so a single-minded focus on creating win-win solutions for buyers and sellers is what you need and that’s what Entrust does.
Cookie-cutter approaches don’t work because each business sale is unique but there are certain basic steps to take to best prepare the business for the market place:
- Make sure the business has adequate and complete financial records.
- Conduct a “Broker’s Opinion of Value”
- Entrust performs “preliminary due diligence.” (Similar to a home inspection before you put your house on the market) to uncover any issues that need to be addressed.)
- Scheduling potential no obligation meetings with our strategic partners to uncover additional value in your business (Are key processes documented and repeatable? Are expenses as lean as they can be? Are sales personnel properly motivated, compensated, and sharing in the goals and values of the organization? Can value be enhanced?).
- Construct an informative and compelling Confidential Business Review (CBR) that is only shared with qualified buyers who have signed confidentiality agreements.
- Develop and execute the marketing plan. (Who is our buyer? What are the best ways to reach that buyer? Will it be an economic buyer? Strategic Buyer? Financial buyer?)
- Prepare enticing and discrete “teaser” ads for various promotional venues.
Entrust is able to offer insights tailored to your situation in order to help you sell your business. Every business has strengths and weaknesses. We will identify the distinguishing characteristics of your business, craft a compelling story, and market it to buyers, helping them understand the value of your business.
No Wasted Time
We don’t want you to waste your time with unqualified buyers so we designed our sales process to maximize your return and minimize your hassles. We maintain the confidentiality of your sale by requiring potential buyers to sign confidentiality agreements before we release any identifying information about your business. In addition, we will not release information until a potential buyer provides us with a summary of his/her financial ability to purchase your business. By the time we bring a buyer in to meet you, you can be sure that buyer is qualified and has a real interest in your business.
Sometimes a deal needs a little help to go through. Our experience allows us to offer, when necessary, creative solutions to business sales through our connections with various financing sources.